Happy National Library Week!
Posted April 10, 2019 – AWE Learning Staff
Happy National Library Week! National Library Week is celebrated April 7-13, 2019. This is an annual celebration honoring the valuable roles libraries, librarians, and library workers play in transforming lives and strengthening the communities they serve.
The first National Library Week took place in 1958 with the theme “Wake Up and Read!” The idea of this honorary celebration came when research illustrated that the amount of time Americans were spending on reading books was decreasing and the amount of time spent on radios, televisions, and musical instruments were increasing. In 1954, the National Book Committee was formed with goals to improve incomes and health, develop a strong and happy family life, and encourage more reading in people’s free time.
The 2019 National Library Week theme, Libraries = Strong Communities, demonstrates the pivotal role libraries have in our local cities, schools, and campuses. Libraries not only serve as a place to offer books, but they offer a vast array of extra resources, services, planning programming, and expertise. In fact, libraries can be categorized as ‘third places,’ a term that refers to places where people spend time between home (“first place”) and work (“second place”). They offer a public space where all individuals are welcome to use the resources individually or collaboratively. Those within the community are encouraged to come together to connect, teach, and learn. Libraries cater their programming, events, and new resources to the topics and needs most relevant to the community.
While we greatly appreciate the work and dedication library staff have each day, National Library Week dedicates a full week to celebrate these individuals and the role libraries play. Take a few minutes to think about how your local library or school library has impacted your life. What resources have you used that you do not have access to at home?
In honor of National Library Week, here is a fun fact for you! Did you know that there are more public libraries than Starbucks in the United States? There are 16,568 libraries, and 14,718 Starbucks!
How do you plan on celebrating National Library Week? Here are some suggestions:
- Visit your library! Look at the activities calendar and see what programming they have scheduled. Check out their new book selection or look at the new technology they now offer. Libraries are constantly evolving to meet the needs of the individuals in the community.
- Support your library on social media. Share what you love about your library. Use the National Library Week hashtags to spread the word! #NationalLibraryWeek #LibrariesTransform
- Read your favorite book and share it with others! What is your favorite book? Draw a picture from your favorite book on this FREE printable and tell your friends all about it. Have they read it yet? If not, let them know they should! Be sure not to give away the ending!
- Share why you love your library! Complete the writing prompt “I love my library because…” Share it with the staff at your library so they know what your favorite part about going to the library is! Use the FREE printable here!
Below is a list of some specific celebrations taking place this week:
- Tuesday, April 9th: National Library Workers Day
- Wednesday, April 10th: National Bookmobile Day
- Wednesday, April 10th: Library Giving Day
- Thursday, April 11th: Take Action for Libraries Day
The next National Library Week takes place April 19-25, 2020. Mark your calendars today!